Ginbot 7 Support Group in UK or Kinijit UK?
It was with great amazement that I learned about Kinijit UK’s preparation to bankroll a public meeting for Dr Birhnau in London to promote and recruit members for his new-founded Ginbot 7 party.
Let me repeat it if you missed it. The public meeting is called by Kinijit UK, with Kinijit headed paper and Kinijit resource. Don’t get me wrong, I am not per se against the public discussion or Dr. Birhanu’s visit of London. What I found repugnant is that why on earth Kinijit is giving a platform and promoting a rival political party that publicly split from Kinijit to set-up its own party?
Of course, Kinijit UK can organise a public discussion on any topic. Kinijit UK can also change itself into Ginbot 7 support group at a short notice. This is also their inalienable right and I have no problem with it at all. However, as long as it calls itself a Kinijit Support Group and use Kinijit’s headed paper, the support group is expected to strictly comply with the cherished values and objectives of Kinijit Ethiopia. When Kinijit UK stops complying with Kinijit’s cardinal principles, the Kinijit UK leaders have to either resign or made accountable by the members for breach of duty.
We now know beyond a shred of doubt that Dr Birhanu is no more a member of Kinijit. We know Dr. Birhanu does not believe in peaceful strategy and vision of Kinijit. Even more, Dr Birhanu has now formed a rivalry party called Ginbot 7. Of course, we all should respect Dr Birhanu’s right to leave Kinijit and form his own private party. Nevertheless, Dr Birhanu should not be allowed to use Kinijit support groups as his Trojan Horses to recruit Kinijit members to his Ginbot 7 Party.
Whether we like it or not, Ginbot 7 and Kinijit are different parties just like day and night. Kinijit believes in peaceful struggle, Ginbot 7 Party believes in armed struggle. Where as Kinijit condemns use of violence to bring about change in Ethiopia, Ginbot 7 believes in use of violence in taking power. Kinijit is a legal party operating under difficult conditions, but Ginbot 7 is a runaway political party operating in safe heaven. Thus, the million dollar question is that is it right for Kinijit UK to organise a public discussion to someone who believes in armed struggle? I say No because:
- By organising the public meeting, Kinijit UK is undoubtedly putting the life and operation of Kinijit leaders in Ethiopia at the mercy of TPLF/EPRDF. It is like giving Kinijit Ethiopia a kiss of death. Kinijit UK should have seen this serious implication before rushing to sponsor Dr. Birhanu’s recruitment campaign in London.
- Leaving aside the implication on the leaders in Ethiopia, as Kinijit supporters, Kinijit UK should have been very careful not to be used as a platform to propagate the sermon of armed struggle. Its role should be strictly restricted to promoting peaceful struggle but not to be an instrument of armed struggle.
- If Kinijt UK is happy to roll a red carpet to organise a public discussion for an Ex-Kinijit member who preaches armed struggle contrary to that of Kinijit’s peaceful struggle, then the support group was/is following individuals but not Kinijit values and objective. That is also lending credence to the suspicion that all along Kinijit UK was controlled and run by the now defunct KIL to bring about the dominance of Kestedamena with in Kinijit.
As I mentioned above, I accept that Kinijit UK can change itself to a support group of Ginbot 7 Party if it wishes. I would not be surprised if eventually but gradually Kinijit UK transforms itself into Ginbot 7 Party. However, we need to note the following:
- If Kinijit UK ever contemplates to transform itself to Ginbot 7 Party, they have to bear in mind that the money collected in the name of Kinijit can not be transferred to Ginbot 7 Party for a simple reason that the public have contributed the money to be used for peaceful struggle but not to wage armed struggle. Period.
- If the public meeting is conducted in the presence of Dr Birhnau, I warn the public to think twice before partying with their hard earned money easily for a simple reason that the money may end up in Ginbot 7 Party coffer.
That is why I urge Kinijit UK to cancel the invitation to Dr Birhanu and invite only those who believe in peaceful struggle instead in line with Kinijit manifesto. By doing so, Kinijit UK will remain loyal to the manifesto and vision of Kinijit. I also call up on Kinijit supporters in the UK to put a sustained pressure on Kinijit UK to change their mind to this effect. If Kinijit UK is unwilling to change their mind by continuing sponsoring the new party, then they need to resign from their positions with immediate effect to join the new party, Ginbot 7.
Using its previous association, there is no doubt that Ginbot 7 Party will continue to use Kinijit Support Groups to advance its objective. Thus, Kinijit UK need to set a good precedent for other Kinijit Support Groups all over the world to follow by nipping the problem at the bud.
Some politicians may have a cunning plan to kill Kinijit and any hope of peaceful struggle so that they can succeed in their desire to raise arms. The public must not be a naive participant in destroying Kinijit and putting Kinijit leaders and supporters back in Ethiopia at the mercy of TPLF/EPRDF. Ginbot 7 must be left to succeed in its own way not on the back of Kinijit.