‘I was in agony but my employers did nothing’
By Bassma Al Jandaly, Staff Reporter
Published: November 29, 2008, 23:31
Al Ain: When she left her country five months ago the young woman expected to work here to support her parents, brothers and her young son, but her dreams were shattered as she was badly burned while preparing food for her sponsor’s family.
Eyerusalem Birhanu Lema, a 20-year-old from Ethiopia, came to work here as a housemaid for a family in Al Ain. But two weeks after her arrival she was badly burned due to a gas leak while she was preparing Iftar for the family during Ramadan.
Eyerusalem’s father had borrowed more than Dh10,000 to send her to work in the UAE. –More–