Ethiopia’s Tiki Gelana wins women’s marathon

August 5, 2012

Russia’s Tatyana Petrova Arkhipova collected the bronze in 2:23:29.

Gelana, who ran the second fastest time of 2012 in this year’s Rotterdam marathon, took charge of the race in the closing stages and 2011 world silver medallist Jeptoo did not have the strength to match her.

The fancied Mary Keitany, who has won the past two London marathons, was long part of the leading pack but slipped off the pace shortly before the 41-kilometre mark as the rain returned to drench the flag-waving crowds lining the course.

Gelana, 24, a cousin of Sydney 2000 Olympic men’s marathon winner Gezahegne Abera, said the rainy conditions had suited her perfectly even though she slipped at one point.

“It was a great race. I really loved it. The rain makes it very interesting,” she said.

“As soon as the rain started, I said to myself ‘thank God’. I love running in the rain, I have been doing that since I was a small child.

I slipped in the middle of the race and my elbow is still injured. But I didn’t feel any pain during the race.

“I was confident before the race that I could win it,” she added. “I have been saving my energy for this. It really paid off.”

She said she was was proud to follow in the footsteps of compatriot Fatuma Roba, who won Ethiopia’s only other women’s marathon gold in Atlanta in 1996.

“Fatuma is my hero. I am extremely happy to share history with her. This gold medal is a gift for all Ethiopians.”

The big names were content to bide their time in the early stages of the race, which started in persistent rain on The Mall, the road linking Buckingham Palace with Trafalgar Square.

Italy’s Valeria Straneo and China’s Zhu Xiaolin led a large group of runners at the halfway point, timing 1hr 13min 13sec and soon afterwards Russia’s Liliya Shobukhova, a three-time Chicago marathon winner, dropped out.

By the 25km mark, a group of six runners had edged ahead with the three Kenyans and three Ethiopians — Mare Dibaba, Gelana and Aselefech Mergia — four seconds clear of the field.

Mergia soon dropped out of the reckoning and as the sun appeared, the race looked set up for a straight shoot-out between the Kenyans and Ethiopians.